Phi’s Applied Research and Innovation Competition (PARIC’18)
Phi’s Research and Innovation Summit 2018 is an annual gathering of the Jordanian and Arab youth under one goal and united by one passion: to create an Arab scientific revolution, a neo-renaissance era in scientific research and innovation.
Phi’s Applied Research and Innovation Competition 2018 (PARIC18)
After the great success of the first competition in Phi’s Research and Innovation Summit 2017, this will be the second year we run the competition, not to only talk science but reward those who excel at it. This year, 15 young innovators and researchers will present their brilliant world-changing ideas, of which 3 projects will win a prize of up to $7,500 each to turn their initial prototypes into manufactural market-ready products.
Table of Contents (click to scroll down):
- Applicants must be between 16 – 30 years old.
- Nationalities from all MENA region are accepted.
- The applicant must be resident in Jordan between June 2018 to June 2019.
- The application can be submitted by an individual or a team up to 3 members.
- Applicants can be participate with one team only.
- All team members must be within the eligibility criteria specified above.
- Team consisting from members of different disciplines are preferred.
- The project should be novel and has not been implemented before or are an improvement of an already proposed/implemented solution.
- If the project has been implemented before, a literature review should be presented.
- The projects should be one that goes under the theme of applied research; where the results have direct implementation into solving real world challenges, preferably challenges in Jordan, in all fields of science such as: energy, artificial intelligence, healthcare, data science, and green technology.
- The projects should be backed up by a prototype or simulation.
- On paper ideas will not be accepted.
- Applicants with publication related to their projects are preferred, even if their papers have not been accepted yet they will still be preferred.
- The project should have a clear research question and a clear proposed solution.
Terms & Condition:
Please note that any information provided by the applicants will be kept private and may not be shared with any other parties.
Read the terms & conditions below very carefully before filling the application.
- Open Call for submission starts from May 10th, 2018 until midnight of June 30th, 2018.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Teams may not add or drop members after the assigned deadline.
- All applications must be fully completed or it will be excluded immediately.
- Only applications submitted through the website form will be accepted.
- Scientific fraud and misconduct are not condoned at any level of the competition. This includes plagiarism, forgery, use or presentation of other’s work as one’s own and fabrication of data.
- All contributors to the idea must be mentioned and stated.
- The selection process includes the following stages:
- First, the top 15 projects will be contacted in by July 21st.
- The top 15 projects will be evaluated by the judges on the first day of the summit, where only 9 projects will make it to the finals.
- The finalists will pitch their ideas on the stage where the judges and summit attendees will evaluate them.
- 3 winners will be chosen and receive the stated prize.
- The judges’ decision is final and no objections are allowed.
9. The applicants must be able to attend a short training sessions that will be held in the period between the July 21st, 2018 and August 10th, 2018 on how to present their projects.
10. Applicants may be asked to provide a recommendation letter from an official academic personnel from a known academic institution.
11. Each team shall only submit a single application.
12. An application submitted by a team must designate one team member as the team leader for contact and competition administrative purposes.
13. Multiple applications by the same team will cause the team to be disqualified.
14. Each team member must make significant contributions for the success of the team, be a full participant in the development of the project, and participate in the presentation and attendance of Phi’s Research and Innovation Summit 2018 (PRIS18).
15. The top 15 applicants will be asked to send the following:
a. A Short 30 seconds video summarizing their projects.
b. Their pictures and biographies.
c. Their presentations at least 1 weak before the summit.
d. A poster to be presented at and exhibition in the summit summarizing their work.
- The top 15 projects will be evaluated by the professors with a weight of 75% of the total evaluation points on the first day of the summit.
- The top 9 projects will advance to the second day where they will present their ideas briefly to the attendees where they will be evaluated with a weight of 25% of the total points.
- The top 3 Projects will be rewarded.
Application form questions:
Because we firmly believe in your great potential, your project will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Impact: How interesting and relevant is the problem you’re trying to solve?
- Innovation: How original or creative is your proposed solution?
- Clarity: How clear are your goals and timeline?
- Feasibility: Can your stated goals be accomplished within time, cost, and resource constraints?